Burglaries within the Overstone & Sywell area
Overstone Parish Council would like to notify residents of a spate of burglaries within the Overstone and Sywell area recently.
Please be vigilant and report any suspicious activity to the police by calling 101 (or 999 in an emergency).
Below is some burglary prevention advice
• Use your lights at home – keep them on a timer when you are out so it looks like someone is home.
• Make sure all doors on your house and vehicle are securely locked at all times. If you have a UPVC door at home, make sure it is double-locked.
• Keep all valuables and keys safely out of sight from windows, both in your home and car. Close curtains with a light on indoors.
• Never leave garages or sheds unlocked – not only can valuable tools be appealing to thieves, they can also be used to force entry to your home.
• Don't hide your keys under a doormat or in a flowerpot – it's the first place a would-be offender will look.
• Ask a friend to keep an eye on your house when you go away, and do the same for neighbours by remaining alert to suspicious activity in your street.
• If you have an unexpected knock on the door never open it to strangers, consider installing a door chain and always keep it on.
• If unsure of the visitor's identity always ask for their ID first and telephone the company they are purporting to be from, and use the telephone numbers listed in your local directory or provided independently by your service provider.
Posted: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 14:56 by Parish Office